PLEASE NOTE WE ARE IN THE PROCESS OF COMPLETING OUR SAFEGUARDING CHECK FOR VIV AND WILL REMOVE THIS NOTICE WHEN THEY ARE DONE.
Viv is a highly experienced Specialist Education Consultant focusing particularly on Autism. For 17 years, Viv worked for Essex County Council as a Specialist Teacher/ASD, supporting the inclusion of children and young people in mainstream settings. She was previously a mainstream secondary school Mathematics teacher. She has a Postgraduate Certificate in Autism (children) from Birmingham University, as well as being trained in implementing PECS, SCERTS and TEACCH.
She also delivered the Autism Education Trust training packages for the Local Authority.
She helped set up Spectrum – a parent support group based in Colchester and has run several parent courses.
- Lighten your load by providing relevant and up to date support for the individual pupil
- Enable staff to feel empowered and confident in their role
- Be proactive in what are the next steps for this pupil
- Reduce stress amongst the staff
- Reassure parents that additional advice has been sought
- Develop staff expertise and confidence.
- Give it my best effort to make the placement successful
Viv enjoys mentoring and coaching school staff so that their practice can meet the needs of the individual pupil. Her strength lies in creating a bespoke package for the pupil. She offers a range of different interventions including:
- Observation, modelling and coaching to provide a personalised package
- Supplying relevant resources
- Coaching on the introduction and use of : Intensive Interaction, Pecs, Attention Autism, Visual support systems such as First/Then, Musical Communication, Working Together with Lego, Identiplay and TEACCH.
- Attendance at Annual Reviews to help provide ‘learning intentions’ for the coming year
- Meeting and working with parents
- SENCo support
- At the end of the session, there would be the opportunity to hear Viv’s initial feedback.
Viv also delivers workshops, half and full day training packages. She has a wealth of practical knowledge, ideas and tips for staff. Viv’s talks are interactive, challenging and entertaining, and sure to get people talking and reflecting on their practice.
Working with Schools
Viv offers a range of support and training packages to schools.
For further details and costings e-mail Viv at: email@example.com.
Viv McMillan, Specialist Education Consultant ASD
Please make sure you are clear that you are accessing the service via Child First.